Monday, February 3, 2014

Days 5, 6, & 7

     "And you may not find any you'll want to go down.

In that case, of course, you'll head straight out of town.

          It's opener there.

              In the wide open air."


We’ve had a crazy past couple of days! Saturday was filled with visits & tours all over the capital city of Accra. We went to 2 memorials of former presidents, the beach, 2 markets, and looked at all kinds of sights through the window. We learned a lot about Ghana, it’s independence, & it’s history.

The first place we got to explore was the Ocean. We looked at the fishing boats & spent some time climbing the rocks, but didn’t hit the beach just yet. 




After that we went to Nkrumah’s memorial, who was the first president of Ghana. On our way there we went past the Accra sports stadium where the world cup soccer team plays, the US Embassy, & many other sites that represent Ghana’s independence. Ghana was established as a country fairly recently. The country is less than 60 years old.  

This is the newest statue of Nkrumah at the memorial.
 The memorial had a mango tree planted by Nelson Mandela 13 years ago.
 This was the original statue of Nkrumah. It was vandalized many years ago & the head was just returned to the park 5 years ago by an old woman.

We also went to the memorial of W.E.B. Du Bois who was the president after Nkrumah. It was actually very interesting to learn so much about the history of this country. The Ghanaian people are very proud of their country, there are Ghana flags everywhere & a lot of things are painted red, green, & yellow. 

This statement was said by W.E.B. du Bois right before he passed away. It's a very beautiful statement that he left the world with.

 We also went to a couple of different markets where we were advised not to buy anything yet, since we have to barter for everything there. When I told the locals I didn’t have any money with me, they offered to trade my camera or my jewelry for the things they were selling. All the jewelry I have here with me has some sentimental value so I stopped wearing it out in the city after that. 


Three different vendors offered me free bracelets, but I only accepted one. This man followed me up & down the street making this for me because he told me that he liked my smiling face & wanted to welcome me to Ghana. 

Sunday morning we went to the beach. It was absolutely beautiful.




I brought headphones & a book out to the beach with us, but when I got there I couldn't take my focus off of the water. I have been to the ocean several times before, but living in Montana it is easy to forget how peaceful the waves sound & how beautiful the look rolling up the shore.
 We met many young children out there. They asked us our names & we wrote them in the sand for each other. Two little guys asked me for 50 peswas (their version of coins) to help buy books for school. I only had 30 peswas in my wallet so I also gave them all the American coins I had & told them what they were & which presidents were on them.
 We played soccer & football with them on the beach that day & also swam in the ocean with them. They come from very poor areas lining the street leading to the beach & didn't own swimsuits so they all had to swim without any clothes on, but they didn't mind. It's moments like that that are so humbling here in Africa.




I took these images from the bus window on the road leading out to the beach. There are a huge number of people living in these tiny little shacks. They have small wooden structures lining the streets where they sell whatever product they can. Behind them are a cluster of little houses where there were many children playing & people of all ages working on various projects.

After the beach I took a three-hour nap & then a group of us went to a pub called Honeysuckle to watch the Super Bowl. It didn’t start until 11:30 pm but we worked up the energy to go watch it. We had fans from both teams, but enjoyed watching the game together. We didn’t get any of the American commercials so unfortunately we missed out on that. They turned up the volume for us during half time as we all danced & sang along to Bruno Mars. 
 This is my new friend Alex. We danced in the pub when Philip Phillips performed Gone, gone, gone.

I lasted until the end of the third quarter. It was 2:30 am here & I was ready for bed.

Today we mostly attended orientation seminars & toured our enormous campus once again & we were all pretty worn out again by the end of the day. We just finished a long night of games in one of the guys rooms & now it's time for bed. It's still crazy to me that it is 11:30 pm here & only 4:30 pm back home. Love to you all,

Kasey




No comments:

Post a Comment