Sunday, March 16, 2014

Days 44-48

And will  you succeed?

            Yes! You will, indeed!

    (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)

        KID, YOU’LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

Not too much has gone on since my last post, but thought an update was in order. Wednesday morning I took the kids to chapel & then spent the rest of the morning teaching. We are learning some new words & then got to play some math bingo. After my time at the orphanage I went to the post office yet again to pick up another package from my wonderful mother. She sent my some more food & some new clothes! I am very happy about the clothes because I didn’t pack enough to get a good variety here. One suitcase of clothes isn’t much when you’re going somewhere for 5 months. I’m pretty sick of the ones I brought so she definitely made my day with that package. That night I went to one of classes that didn’t actually happen so I took a dinner break until my next one. We arrived at that class to find out it had changed venues so we ran across campus to make it there in time. The class is abnormal psychology. Our professor brings up homosexuality a lot in class and while he may be ok with it, the rest of the class is not. They are actually pretty immature about the matter, laughing & making jokes every time it comes up. It’s really frustrating coming from a place that is getting more accepting of those differences each day. My American friends & I had quite a discussion regaurding the issue after class. It’s a cultural difference for sure, and that is taking some getting used to. The whole culture shock sunk in more than ever this week & it took me a step back I think. I think it’s normal to get homesick & frustrated at times even when you really try not to. I am about seven weeks in now though, so I made it a lot longer than I originally thought I would.

Thursday morning I had class & then wasn’t feeling too good again so spent the afternoon napping & resting.

Friday we went to get our national ID cards. They cost 120 US dollars for a little piece of plastic with your name & picture on it, but I guess that’s just another way for the country to make money. 



A group of us went to the mall after that & saw another movie. We went to the Lego movie & it was way better than I had expected. I didn’t know all those actors were in it so I enjoyed it a lot. That afternoon we watched a rugby game that some of the girls in our hostel were playing in. That is a rough sport  to watch. We’ll see how many more games I make it to. That night my friend Erin & I found a little restaurant that had some really good food! We spent a few hours there because it was so nice & the food was the best I’d had since I left America.

I spent my weekend relaxing. It was the first weekend I have stuck around town for awhile so I soaked it up. I was lazy & tried to get the rest of this sick bug out of me. I did a little grocery shopping & watched a few movies. It was kind of boring actually, but nice at the same time. We have a big trip coming up this weekend & another the weekend after that so I thought I might as well enjoy a break! Another storm is moving in here so I'm in the middle of one of my favorite movies, Sleepless in Seattle, & will probably fall asleep early tonight.

Hope everyone had a good spring break & an easy transition back to reality tomorrow. Love to you all,

Kasey

No comments:

Post a Comment