Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Days 60-65- half way there!

I can’t believe that my time here is already halfway finished. It has gone by way faster than I ever anticipated, but I’m glad that I’m only at the halfway mark. I believe it was about 19 weeks that I’d here, around 130 days, and now I just have 9 and a half short weeks left to go. I guess that means I better hurry up & make sure I get everything out of the experience possible.

Friday morning I had yet another package at the post office. It was a cool morning (for once) after it stormed all night so I walked across campus to get my package slip, grabbed a cup of coffee, & made my way to the post office. It was another 4-hour trip but it was car accident free & in the end I got a nice care package from my mom. I got some more granola & protein bars which I am so thankful for because I don’t know what I would do if I ran out of those. She also sent me clothes & candy. I think it just might be the first candy I’ve had since being here besides the packs of fruit mentos I get occasionally. I normally have a huge sweet tooth so I’m not even sure how I made it that long. She also sent me some anti-itch cream, which is so awesome for my mosquito bites. They are vicious little bugs. At one point I counted 35 bites just from my knees down to my feet. That afternoon we set out for a weekend trip. We spent it a little “resort” area at the beach. We were at Kokrobite and stayed in a bungalow type of house for a couple days for one of my friends’ birthdays. We had a pretty good dinner that night & then watched the drumming & dancing show. It was amazing! The dancing was very cool and they did some crazy acrobatics too. They did tricks with fire and all kinds of crazy stuff. 



After the show we talked to one of the dancers who had a little baby boy. He let us hold him and asked if we would adopt him and take him back to the states with us. It’s so sad to me that they would want to give their little angels to total strangers just so there kid can grow up in America. The states may have more opportunity but I think Africa has more happiness.  


Saturday morning we started off with breakfast. The restaurant there had actual brewed coffee! And it smelled so good. The instant stuff doesn’t have the same scent. I could have sat there with that cup all day just to keep smelling it. That makes me sound like a total freak, but I have some good memories attached to coffee so I guess that’s why I love it so much. When I was growing up I’d always wake up early & have a cup of coffee with my parents while my dad read the paper & my mom watched the Today Show. It’s such a simple thing, but I guess I miss my mornings with them now that I’m all grown up & don’t live with them anymore. It’s hard to justify why I drink hot coffee here when it’s a million degrees outside but every time I do I think of my grandma & grandpa sitting on the dock at the lake in the middle of August around 2 or 3 in the afternoon with scorching temperatures drinking a giant mug full of hot coffee. I’ve always thought that was so weird but now I’m doing it too. I guess my family just loves our coffee :)


That afternoon we didn’t do much. There were some little stands on the beach selling clothes & jewelry so I did a little gift shopping for my cousins & just hung out on the beach reading another book for most of the day. That night there was some reggae music on the beach and a huge crowd came out for that so we danced along with everyone else. It was dark but I saw a girl that looked very familiar so I started walking towards her & turns out it was my friend Brianne from back home! Such a small world that I’d run into another Bozeman person all the way in Ghana but pretty cool at the same time.

Sunday morning we got up, had some more breakfast with more coffee, & made our way back to the hostel. I took a nap & worked on my second ever Ghanaian homework assignment. I got a “tantalizing” vegetable curry for dinner from Auntie Louise & it was actually pretty good! Not even spicy. The one at the kitchen in the hostel has some spice to it but I’ve really been trying to broaden my meal choices here so I’ve been getting that for dinner every couple of days. Maybe by the end of the trip I’ll be able to finish it without chugging water after every bite.

Monday was rainy all day & it was amazing. It was finally cool and I loved it so much. Walking to class in the mud was another story, but the rain itself was great. Growing up in Montana I am used to dodging patches of ice and keeping my balance when I have to walk on them, but I didn’t expect that I’d have to maintain this same balance here in Africa. We don’t have sidewalks here, just dirt paths, so when it rains that all turns to mud and it can be really difficult to walk on if you’re not careful. Luckily I made it all the way to class & back without slipping. Class was another interesting couple of hours. We were learning about getting careers after college so we learned about writing resumes & job interviews. In the US most of us have been doing these things since we were in high school so it’s kind of crazy to be sitting in a classroom where you’re the only one who’s ever had a real job before. My favorite part was that when she explaining job interviews, she gave us this piece of advice: “keep your cool.” It was written up on the board & everything. I laughed at this a little on the inside but I guess it’s probably decent advice in the end. I did some more work for my homework assignment that night & then went to bed early.

Yesterday I got up at 6:45, which is sleeping in for me here, finished my homework & registered for my fall semester back at MSU. Then I got some dinner & got ready for class. I had to turn in my homework assignment and that was a whole adventure in itself. Printing in the library here is definitely not a simple process. It took me 20 minutes just to find a printer that worked. Everyone literally moves at snail pace here so when I was in a huge rush to get it all printed out & to class on time, they weren’t much help. I rushed over to my class after it finally printed only to arrive in a classroom where there was not yet a professor. Once he finally did show up everyone literally pushed and shoved their way to turn in their paper. You’d think that the first 10 people to turn in their papers got a million bucks by the way they were trying to get theirs turned in.

This morning I took the kids to chapel & then we had class. I taught the younger ones again today, going over a little math & writing letters. When they broke for lunch I took a cab to a little café/bakery type of place one of my friends told me about. I got a sandwich & some coffee and began reading another one of my books. Before I knew it I had wasted a whole afternoon there & finished another book. It seems too easy to get lost in these fictitious worlds, but I love it. By then it was around the time I normally eat dinner & I spotted some cupcakes in the bakery. I grabbed one & ate it for dinner. It’s not a normal dinner but I don’t see a lot of sweets around here so I guess I make a meal out of them when I do. After I ate I found a little bookstore & walked around it for a little while. They had a lot of books but I only recognized 2 authors in the whole store: Tony Robbins & Nicholas Sparks. I didn’t buy anything and then I decided to navigate myself back to campus by walking. I saw the top of the library so I just started walking towards it & eventually found my way back. It’s pretty cool when you realize you can get around in a foreign country, a whole new continent, 7,000 miles away from home all by yourself. I remember being a huge mix of emotions the day that I left. I was happy but sad & excited but terrified. Now I don’t really feel much. I’m happy here, but that’s really all. I’m just here & I’m enjoying every moment of it. I listened to whatever random songs my iPod played as I walked back breathing in the smell that Africa has (which is honestly not a very good one, although I’ll probably miss it one day) & I caught myself dancing as I walked. Then I wondered if I’d ever be able to listen to music like a normal person. Whenever I listen to music I hear it in movement. I always picture some dance in my head & I can’t help it. I don’t know if this is just a dancer thing or if everyone listens this way. Anyways, now I have to make my way to the night class I don’t feel like going to. Love to you all,

Kasey





No comments:

Post a Comment